Thursday, November 03, 2005

Birth Control and Pharmacists - When Did this Junk Start?

Okay. I have officially reached the boiling point with people interfering with my reproductive rights. I am about ready to scream with frustration as I watch this country and this government inch (and sometimes leap) towards the right.

First, FDA. FDA is currently looking at Plan B for years now and pretty much dragging their feet. It would seem that their scientists have approved the drug for release, but politics are holding it back. They even did a public comment period for the drug, which is not the norm. Check out this press release about Congress trying to force their decision. The FDA is not a place for politics; it is supposed to be about safety and the laws in our country. Once again, the political right is behind this.

Second, Birth Control Access. I don't' know what has crawled up the butts of pharmacists, but check out Cover My Pillsand Robert's Blog for more information. Basically, all these pharmacists are suddenly screaming that they don't have to fill any prescriptions which violates their religious doctrine. Not married -- no pills. Why should anyone have to explain a legitimate prescription from their doctor to some pharmacists at Target?

What can you do?

Do what I did.
1. I posted a comment on the FDA comment log.
2. I wrote not one, but two strongly worded letters to Target. The first I got the standard response; the second they didn't even bother to respond to.
3. Quit shopping at places that don't support birth control access. I used to always shop at Target -- now I go out of my way to avoid them.
4. Ask your pharmacist. I asked my pharmacists at Eckerdt Drug and she told me they dispense any legitimate prescription that is written by my doctor. If she had questions, she would talk to the doctor, but she wouldn't refuse either Plan B or birth control unless it would lead to a medical problem. If yours won't, switch pharmacists.
5. Get involved -- write your congressperson. Call your legislators! Send money to NARAL or Planned Parenthood.

Rosa Parks passed away last week. I would never have anything but good things to say about this smart and courageous lady. She stood up for herself and all other African Americans by refusing to give up her seat. This is the same type fight. Refuse to give up your seat -- refuse to give up access to birth control. Refuse to let the right wing nuts take over this country. You are a ordinary person, like Rosa and like her you can make a difference.

I hope you do something.

5 Comments:

At 3:33 AM EST, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I am speechless! Gahhhhh!

 
At 10:40 AM EST, Blogger Tara said...

YOU GO CORONA!
WHAT AN EXCELLENT STATEMENT!

 
At 9:46 PM EST, Blogger Kristen said...

what the hell is this all about? I would have FLIPPED OUT!!!

 
At 7:49 AM EST, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I would've LOST IT had they denied me my pills!

Good for you, Corona! :)

 
At 2:16 PM EST, Blogger Jay said...

It's great to see someone with passion for what they believe.

And can I just say that I am sooo happy to be Canadian?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home