Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Great Film, but I'm disappointed

First, let me just say that I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I love the books - have read them all between 5 - 8 times each. I've even read books about the books.

I've seen all the movies -- even have them on tape. I've probably watched them 3 or 4 times each.

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BOOK 4 or SEEN THE MOVIE!

However, I have to say the 4th movie is different. Don't get me wrong - the movie is amazing - great job with the awkwardness of their adolescence and the cinematography was sharp and awe-inspiring. I like the actors -- except for the actors playing Mad Eye Moody and Rita Skeeter. I am always amazed by the set design and overall feel of the films. The feel of the film did fit the feel of the books overall.

So, why am I disappointed?

One reason - the film veered from the book too much. There was no Dursleys -- understandable due to the need to shorten the film. But, they immediately change where Harry wakes up from the disturbing dream about Voldemort. They change the scene so we see Barty Crouch Junior with Voldemort - not the way it was in the book. Why couldn't they have started with having that at the Dursley's? And then the Quidditch. The veelas were gone -- really could have been a chance to show some cool graphics. No leprechauns either - so no talk about the magical gold. The Weasley's didn't even get their great seats - they were in the nose bleed section. Then, they change the whole Dark Mark scene. No Winky - again we see Barty Crouch. It was weird. They expanded the dragon scene, which was unnecessary. They could have used that time to add more depth to the characters. I'm glad to see they did have Neville step up and help Harry out, but it wasn't that way in the book. And the worst of all, they totally changed the whole maze from the book - no more creatures to get past, nothing that interesting. It definitely lost some of its appeal.

I will have to say some of it was better than my imagination and the book. The grave scene was incredible - even better than I imagined.

I do love the movie. But, the book is more precious to me and I didn't care for the changes. I knew the books probably too well.

Just thought you would want to know.

2 Comments:

At 6:22 AM EST, Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

your imagination has no limit with a book and although the film was brilliant I know exactly what you mean...i've never liked the woman who plays rita skeeter, although i love barty crouch jnr...hubba

:0)

 
At 11:03 AM EST, Blogger Corona Red said...

Magpie - You are right. Barty Crouch junior was hot! - Corona

 

Post a Comment

<< Home