Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Working for the Man

Well, it looks like life may actually be handing me some good news.

My boss pulled me (and my crazy co-worker, Nut) aside yesterday to let us know that there would be 2 GS-13 jobs** opening up in her office soon. And we were welcome to apply (wink, wink). We both also applied for a GS-13 over at the Department of Labor, coordinating the same computer program that we do here. They are hiring one person.

So, here's the thing. Only one of us is going to be chosen by DOL. The other person will have to stay here. Whoever is offered first is given a choice. The one who isn't may be stuck. So, if I am offered it first, do I go or do I stay? In some ways, I would love to get out of here. Try something different, meet new people, get a chance to make some significant changes, etc... However, on the other hand, I am really not looking forward to such a big change. It makes my commute slightly longer, the people don't seem as friendly, and I like my boss here.

However, I want to be able to keep moving up the chain and be promoted into management one day. I fear getting stuck at a GS-13 for the next 10 years. I really want to be able to break into management and become a GS-14. I don't think I'll be able to do that here. But, things could change.

Going to DOL could be interesting. Basically, you can build the system infrastructure from the ground up with strong IT support.

I'm not sure what I'll do. It'll greatly depend on if I am offered the DOL job. I'll keep you posted.


**In Federal Government service, the GS stands for General Schedule and the number is your called your grade. A college graduate usually starts as a GS-7, but if you have a graduate degree you start as a GS-9. Jobs have grades assigned to them. These grades directly relate to how much money you make. For example, a GS-7 made $35,452, but a GS-9 made %43,365 this year. My first (and current) position is a GS-9/11/12. So, my first year I was a 9 and then the second an 11. I've now been a 12 for 2 years. You get the idea.

4 Comments:

At 8:08 AM EST, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

What an opportunity! I had something similar happen to me....do I stay with all that's familiar or do I go to new and unknown territory??? I couldn't sleep nights thinking about it!

Well, I went and got the job. Best move I ever made! I am SO glad I went for it!

I hope it all works out for you!

P.S. - I think you should go for it! :)

 
At 8:35 AM EST, Blogger Tara said...

Sounds good! Hopefully it will all turn out the way you want it :)

 
At 10:17 AM EST, Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i think you should go for it if they offer it you, a change is as good as a rest, new challenges and all that...i will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope it goes the way you want...

*hugs*

 
At 7:51 PM EST, Blogger Kristen said...

go to Labor. The only way to move up these days is to move around. You could be back in your job that you have now as your boss's boss in a few years. Either way, good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home