Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My First Bike Ride in about 15 Years.

**The WYSIWYG/HTML editor is not working, so I am typing HTML language in. Just an FYI.**

I took my first bike ride the other day. The Mount Vernon Trail on the George Washington Memorial Parkway isn't that far from my house. Since this was the virginal voyage of my bike, I wanted to go somewhere familiar.

The trail was crowded. So many people had shaken off their winter doldrums and were ready for fun.

There were the young, athletic people running with their headphones and skimpy clothes. You can always spot them with the latest gadget on their wrist, the camel watering systems on their backs and the sweat pouring off their bodies. The bikers are fast and furious. Some remember to say "On your left" as they pass, but occasionally one came flying around my friend and I at warp speed.

Families were out. Runners had their running strollers out and the babies were bundled up. The bikers had their kids' bike attached to theirs. And most of the time, the kids seemed to have given up on pedaling, just enjoying the ride.

Couples rode tandem bikes. They seem to enjoy both the rhythm of it and the oddness factor. You just don't see them very often.

The walkers returned. Some strolled casually and chatted with their walking buddy. Some had their arms crooked and were doing the mall walking style.

The ages and races varied widely. It somehow lifted my spirits to see people enjoying the outdoors seemingly without a care in the world. There is some pride in knowing that this happens all across America.

As for my bike ride, I found it somewhat challenging. I have gained a new appreciation for why we teach children to ride so young. They have no fear. I however remember falling down - the bruises, the scrapes, the scars. When the bike went too fast, I had to slow it down. Of course, I am still learning the fancy shifting device on the bike, so it wasn't as smooth as it probably could have been.

I can't wait to return. I am looking forward to getting my bike out again, to learning how to use it better. This was a good purchase!

3 Comments:

At 8:05 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Good for you! I'm a bit jealous of you...I have a bike (which hasn't seen any action for years) but I really don't have a place to ride that is near my house. I certainly wouldn't ride in my neighborhood (too dangerous) and the highways are too crazy for me to chance it.

So until we find a Peanut Palace in a safer, quieter location, I'll keep my bike in the garage, dang it!

I'm glad that you're enjoying it so much...it really did sound like a lovely ride! :)

 
At 7:13 AM EDT, Blogger Ms Mac said...

We must be in tune because I went out for a ride for the first time in ages today as well.

My legs will want to fall off tomorrow, I know this!

Well done you!

 
At 5:04 AM EDT, Blogger An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

GOOD FOR YOU!
Skinny jeans here you come!
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home