Wednesday, June 01, 2005

100 Things You Didn't Know

Here's my first attempt at one of these lists. It shouldn't be too hard. I take it back...It is difficult to par down experiences and my life into short sentences.

1. I'm the oldest of four children.
2. My dad was in the Army - I'm a military brat.
3. I was 5 foot, 7 inches tall in 6th grade.
4. I am the only person in my immediate family who has a college degree.
5. I am the only one of my grandparents' 30 some odd grandchildren with a master's degree.
6. I took 5 years to complete my undergraduate degree.
7. I have been trapezing.
8. I took a rifle class in graduate school.
9. My hair color isn't naturally red, but I believe it should be, so I make it so.
10. I love crappy romance novels.
11. As a child, I read every book every published about panda bears.
12. As an adult, I can spend hours just watching panda bears -- something about them fascinates me.
13. My favorite feature is my hair.
14. I broke my leg when I was 3 or 4 years old playing bumper cars on the slide.
15. It was actually the second break of that leg -- they found an old, never treated break from when I wrapped my legs around a chair and tipped it back.
16. I broke my elbow standing on a basketball.
17. The only anesthesia that I have ever had was for wisdom teeth removal.
18. I attended at least 6 different schools as a child.
19. I had my first alcoholic beverage at 11 years old in Germany.
20. I went to college in Indiana.
21. I once dyed my hair chestnut brown -- what a mistake.
22. I have kissed over 60 guys in my life.
23. My mother is 20 years older than me.
24. My mother's parents are 50 years older than me.
25. I had my first pair of high heels in 5th grade.
26. I went to graduate school in Illinois.
27. I love to travel.
28. I have hiked all over Manchu Pichu in Peru.
29. I stayed at the most romantic hotel on a inverted volcanic lake in Guatemala (we had to take a boat to get to the hotel).
30. I sunbathed topless at Caesar's Palace.
31. I once went to shooting range on a date.
32. My first kiss was at age 12 with a boy who was 16.
33. My first date was at a Chinese restaurant.
34. My first boyfriend was a year younger than me.
35. My first celebrity crush was on Rick Springfield, when he sang "Jessie's Girl."
36. I went on motorcycle rides with my father and his friends before I turned 5 years old. (I was one of the tallest kids, so the guys didn't mind taking me.)
37. I graduated number 65 out of 365 students in my high school class.
38. I have a slight skin allergy to tomatoes.
39. I lived in Germany for about 8 years of my childhood.
40. I weighed over 50 pounds less than I do now when I was in high school, yet I never thought I was thin.
41. I have a best friend I still keep in touch with from seventh grade.
42. I have known my best friend who I see on a weekly basis since I was a sophomore in high school.
43. When I was little, I told my mom I wanted to president of the United States.
44. I went to Berlin with the Girl Scouts (before the wall came down).
45. I almost got gored by a cow in the Swiss Alps as a child.
46. I went to Mardi Gras once and did earn my beads from a balcony.
47. The longest I have every lived in one city is 5 years.
48. The longest I have lived in one apartment/house is 3.5 years.
49. I bought my first home three years ago.
50. This is the first home I've lived in that someone in my family has owned.
51. I am an avid gardener.
52. My favorite flowers are roses and tulips.
53. I love herbal tea.
54. African Bush Tea or roobious is my favorite store bought tea.
55. Lemongrass is my favorite home grown tea.
56. I grew so much zucchini the past two years that I still have some frozen in my freezer.
57. I am growing brussel sprouts even though I don't eat them.
58. I love home grown vegetables.
59. I am growing pumpkins this year just for Halloween.
60. I have done all the landscaping on my property and I love it.
61. I do believe in survival of the fittest in the garden and I try not to coddle plants.
62. My garden sculptures are all about cats, women or squirrels.
63. I love to cook.
64. I just started cooking seven years ago.
65. I just started eating broccoli 10 years ago, but only on pizza until 5 years ago.
66. I just started eating artichokes 6 years ago.
67. I just started eating tofu 5 years ago.
68. I just started eating bell peppers 4 years ago.
69. I just started eating sweet potatoes 3 years ago.
70. I just started eating goat cheese 2 years ago.
71. Two years ago, I found I love butternut squash and pumpkin soups.
72. Last year, I started eating cheeses from around the world.
73. And this year, I started eating Thai food - anything with peanut sauce.
74. I hate beets and radishes.
75. Although I don't know how else to eat it, I do enjoy rhubarb and strawberry pie and jelly.
76. I learned to cook by selling Pampered Chef -- they send you videos and free recipes.
77. I never made any money at Pampered Chef -- just spent it on their products.
78. My first job was at 15 years old -- bus girl at a country club.
79. I couldn't find a job for the first three months of college.
80. So, I took a job as a Santa Helper at the mall.
81. I went on to be a Santa Helper for three years in a row and worked two seasons with the Easter Bunny.
82. I once met Sharon Pratt Dixon, a former mayor of Washington, D.C.
83. My mother used to tell people when I was little that I wasn't bossy, I just had better ideas than everyone else.
84. I volunteered at the National organization for Women when I was in high school.
85. The past few years, I have volunteered with the American Red Cross, the Linus Project and the local homeless shelter.
86. I marched in the 1992 and 2004 March for Women's Rights in Washington, D.C.
87. My parents raised me in the Southern Baptist Faith.
88. I consider myself an agnostic.
89. I love TV- always have - probably because of the cultural significance placed upon it.
90. All my favorite shows keep leaving the air, including Dawson's Creek, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Cupid.
91. My never miss shows now are Desperate Housewives, Alias, Smallville, and Extreme Home Makeover.
92. I cry at every episode of Extreme Home Makeover.
93. I love to read.
94. I will read just about anything - the backs of cereal boxes even.
95. My day doesn't feel right if I don't read my Washington Post.
96. I can't stand network television news.
97. My favorite childhood book was "Charlotte's Web."
98. My favorite adult series is Harry Potter -- huge fan.
99. I did meet Gloria Steinem at a university speaking engagement.
100. I have her autograph two of her books for me.

Done!!

6 Comments:

At 10:14 AM EDT, Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

hey i'm growing pumpkins too, thats if hubby doesn't destroy the rest of them that is...they are so easy...

love your list, i think pandas are cute too, but my fave are polar bears...

i can't imagine having enough nerve to go on a trapeze

i gambled illegally at Caesars (i didn't know at the time though)

you could still be president, what are you waiting for - go for it...

:0)

 
At 4:01 AM EDT, Blogger An Extraordinary woman in a mediocre life said...

great list!
I loved the "shes not bossy, she just has better ideas than everyone else" thats class!
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At 7:06 AM EDT, Blogger Jay said...

One of the most interesting things about you: you keep anniversaries of foods! Hahah!

 
At 4:42 PM EDT, Blogger Tara said...

Great list...sounds like you have had many unique experiences!

 
At 5:24 PM EDT, Blogger Corona Red said...

I'm telling you -- my life has been rather odd.
Trapezing - scared me to death, but it was one of those teambuilding activities in college where they give you tons of support. In that environment, I'm sure you could have, too!
You couldn't pay me to be president now.
My mom loves to tell people that even now -- I try to watch the bossiness, but it is a part of me.
I keep track of the veggie because before I started I only ate lettuce, cucumbers, peas, beans and corn. That's it -- so I am trying to expand my food range.
thanks for reading!

 
At 5:47 PM EDT, Blogger Leesa said...

I tried pumpkins last season...they sure take up alot of space. The Hub didn't go for it this year, he wanted to use the spot for Jalapenos. Dam Texan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home