Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Life is so sad sometimes...

I don't know what it is going on, but life has become so sad. I don't know how it happened, but suddenly I am reaching an age where people are starting to die. Not just old relatives I hardly know - that happened when I was a child. Now, it is people that I work with, people who I am friends with in my neighborhood. It's so strange.

Last week, a guy at one of the regional offices died. He and his wife were killed in a car accident. How random. He was an older guy, nearing retirement. A nice man, who struggled with some of the changes that my office was making, but he was learning.

Last night, I was at a neighborhood meeting and found out that an elderly gentleman that attends neighborhood watch with me had died. He tried to attend on a fairly regular basis. He seemed just fine when I saw him in April. He was a Scottish gentleman with the most amusing cadence to his voice. He just seemed so healthy.

And this morning, one of my favorite neighbors called and told me that his wife had passed away yesterday. I was just shocked. Even though I knew she had been ill, it was still shocking. And he called me to apologize for missing the meeting last night. I told him it was not a problem at all. Then he tells me about his wife. And all I could say was that I was sorry, just so sorry.

Each of these people I did not know well. It just hurts that they are gone. I fear that my family is next. My great grandmother is actually 94 years old. She's in a nursing home now and they don't expect her to go home. She looks like she is all veins, skins and bones. And she hates not being able to live at her own home anymore. She hates being in a setting where is dependent on others. My mama (Dad's mother) is not doing well either. She is having a hard time taking care of herself, but refuses to discuss moving into senior complex where she could have some assistance. I just fear the next call will be about one of them.

But, I fear even more is something like the car accident -- unprepared, unable to say goodbye to anyone. The sheer randomness of it -- that is the hard part. You never know who is next.

It's been a strange day so far.

8 Comments:

At 11:14 AM EDT, Blogger Chirag said...

It sometimes shows how busy we have become to notice or share someone's pain.

 
At 6:01 AM EDT, Blogger Ms Mac said...

How very sobering!

 
At 7:58 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I sometimes think the same thing about some of my relatives. My mother has 11 brothers and sisters and they are a VERY close family. She's already lost one brother to cancer and a sister to a car accident and she fell completely apart both times. I felt HORRIBLE for her. I know it's morbid but sometimes I sit and think "God...if my mother has to see the rest of her brothers and sister pass away, I don't know if she can take it (she's 71 years old).

 
At 5:25 PM EDT, Blogger Corona Red said...

Thanks everyone...

Stacy - It's not morbid. It's good to notice these things so you can be supportive of her. Believe me, my grandparents are facing the same issues and I feel for them.

Corona

 
At 10:02 AM EDT, Blogger Corona Red said...

Amy & Katheryn - Thanks. It is sobering. I went to the viewing last night for my neighbor's wife. I only stayed a few minutes, but it was sobering.

 
At 2:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jay said...

Age has nothing to with death, unfortunately. Anyone can be struck down at any moment, be it a random occurence or a failing of health. Very sad indeed.

 
At 5:59 PM EDT, Blogger Schotzy said...

Jay is right it is a pity age has nothing to do with death, I have lost so many very close loved ones. My oldest son just 3 weeks before his 17th birthday, my Father was just 67, the latest my husband at age 57. It does make one try to put ones life in perspective and make the most of the time allotted to us. S

 
At 5:42 PM EDT, Blogger Leesa said...

We've had similar situations like that around us lately also.
My husbands son died in March..just went to bed and never woke up.
One of our friends from TX, her daughter (about same age) died in a car accident last week.
It is VERY sobering to have that happen around you so close together. Both were younger than me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home