Friday, June 10, 2005

Romance Novels -- I Should Give Them Up!

Okay, so summer's here. My favorite time to sit outside and read. And right now, it's high romance season. But, I swear sometimes I feel I should give them up for the sheer frustration that they bring me. I don't want to think when I read, I want to feel. Unfortunately, afterwards, the feelings aren't quite the same as while I am reading.

Romance Posted by Hello



The girl and guy meet -- there is some kind of big reason they can't be together - they solve the problem - they marry. There's no small, persistent problems. There are no doubts. There are no complications. They have all the time in the world for each other. Nothing makes them depressed or is too scary. By the end, they can talk about anything.

And the guys are always amazing. They bring/send flowers. They talk about their feelings or if not then are extremely expressive in some other ways. They can't wait to get their hands on the woman they love. The men want to hold them and will stand up for them against anyone and anything.

It's all rather disgusting. Yet, I keep reading them. I lose myself in their world, imagining each character in my head and hoping that everything works out for them. And like all romance novels, it does - every time.


I must be glutton for punishment.

3 Comments:

At 1:15 PM EDT, Blogger Jay said...

Oof. I couldn't make it through a romance novel to save my life. Too practical maybe, I am unable to suspend judgment. And have been terribly spoiled by classics and great literature. But, I also enjoy reading out in the sun, no matter what it is.

 
At 9:06 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh I know JUST what you mean! And, God forbid you pick up one of these novels before you actually have a relationship with a man!

I used to think it was true the way the men in the books are....always dashing, romantic, ruggedly good looking....all that stuff.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not man bashing but it's just sad how warped reading these can make you when you're too young to realize it's NOT really that way.

Does that make any sense????

See??? There really IS a reason I'm so warped! ;)

 
At 5:54 PM EDT, Blogger Schotzy said...

Yes the romance novel, I gave up reading those soooooo many years ago. They all had the same story and on names, cities, and maybe eras change. Give me a good SciFi fantasy story, or a murder mystery now that is something I can squander my time with. Thanks for coming over to visit my blog. S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home