Monday, May 01, 2006

Diet and Exercise Update #3

Well, it's working. Slowly, but surely. I am a better mood than I was before. So, what's changed?
I am losing about 1/2 to 1 pound a week - less than I prefer, but at least it's coming off.

I've lost 15 pounds since January 1. So, it's been about 18 weeks since I started. If I continue on this rate, I could meet my goal weight by July 1 and my ideal weight by Aug. 31. Not too shabby.
I can do this. I am reading "The 3-hour Diet." It's an interesting take on losing weight -- basically you have to eat every 3 hours and stop eating after 9 p.m. at night. This book recommends you eat within 1 hour of rising from bed and consume about 400 calories at breakfast. Then 3 hours later you have a 100 calorie snack. Then 3 hours later you have a 400 calorie meal. Then, 3 hours later you have another 100 calorie snack. Finally, you have a 400-calorie dinner three hours after that. And you get a 50-calorie snack at the end of your day. He also recommends portion size ---- veggies the size of two DVDs, protein the size of a deck of cards, and carbs the size of a Rubic's cube. He also recommends you take your body weight and divide it in half and consume that much water in ounces. That is alot of water.

Sounds easy right?

One problem is what I thought was a veggy is really a carb. I love potatoes and corn -- they don't count as veggies. I did find some fun recipes in the book to try, but none worth bragging about.

Well, I've found if I have certain items in the house - it doesn't matter the serving size, I will just keep eating them. For example, Pringles (even the ones in the 100-calorie packs) don't survive. I ate 8 packs of those in two and a half days. I think it would have been less calories if I had just bought the large can. Chocolate is the same way -- I crave it when it's available. But, I have to really want it to make myself go pick some up.

But, I can get there. I am still trying to eat more veggies. I am drinking more water than ever. And I have been shaking up my whole workout routine. Two weeks ago, I ran one day, biked another, use the ellipitical a third day, and swam for my final workout. Last week, I only got three workouts in -- no pool unfortunately. The pool has been a great tool -- burns lots of calories, but without the sweat. So, I am going to try to do that every Friday night. If I absolutely have to skip on Friday night, then Sunday morning. But, no skipping of the pool.

Just keep your fingers crossed for me. I am going to do this.

4 Comments:

At 1:02 AM EDT, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Well done you!

I think if I drank that recommended amount of water there would soon be no lakes left in Switzerland.

 
At 7:56 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That is EXCELLENT! I sure wish I could lose some of this extra weight. I would love to lose just 10 pounds!

I may have to check out that three hour diet...sounds like it may work. Please let me know how you like it...'cause I have tried SO MANY different diets that just DO NOT do it for me....

 
At 4:01 PM EDT, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

You are ALREADY doing it. You go girl. I hate that weight has so much "weight" in this society. Just keep feeling good about yourself.
xo
jw

 
At 10:48 PM EDT, Blogger Jay said...

I don't have to cross my fingers - look at you! you rock! You're doing so well. And you're doing it the healthy way, which really makes me happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home