Monday, May 15, 2006

Movie Review - Akeelah & the Bee

Excellent Movie!

I took my nephew to see Akeelah & the Bee over the weekend. It is a great film. First, I like to expose my nephew to smart women on film - girls who can take care of themselves. And this girl pulls herself together. Secondly, it really showed that the academic side of life can be fun. Thirdly, it was done with an African American cast. It gives the story authenticity. Lastly, it is just a well done film.

Laurence Fishburne is just great - as her coach. Personally, I've found him to be a great actor. But, his film choices are all over the place. He's the perfect fit for this character.

The little girl is the starring role is Keke Palmer. She is excellent. A real kid it seems. She's cute without being too cutesy.

And the storyline is great. Complex enough for adults, but down to earth enough for kids. It is a rare film that both my nephew and I enjoy.

I highly recommend attending this film as a family. There is a bit of foul language, but language is so central to the film that I believe a lesson is taught about that kind of language.

And yes, now my nephew does want to do spelling bees at his school next year!

1 Comments:

At 7:58 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Sounds like an excellent movie...and I've always liked Laurence Fishburn too, no matter what role he plays! :)

Thanks for the tip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home