Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Renovation Hell - First Crisis

Well, I've arrived at the first big problem of my renovation experience. I got a call from the general contractor and he told me the kitchen guy hasn't ordered my cabinets yet. I think my "WHAT" could be heard halfway across the building. The contractor says the kitchen guy called him yesterday and said he was waiting on a signature from the contractor. My contractor didn't realize the kitchen guy was waiting on him.

So, now it's three weeks after I thought we had settled the cabinet order placed. So, now we are weeks behind.

I was steaming about this yesterday. I specifically told the kitchen guy on July 6 that we were not waiting on the contractor and he could order the cabinets with my signature. I don't understand the problem. And the kitchen guy cashed my check -- so it didn't appear he was held back from that.

So, I waited to call until today. So, I call and he doesn't say anything about the cabinet order. I ask if it was true they weren't ordered until yesterday and he says yes he was waiting on the general contractor. I told him I thought we had settled this and now I may owe financial penalties to my general contractor for holding up the schedule. I told him I wasn't happy and that I resented him for not calling to tell me about a problem in the past three weeks. He didn't really have much to say. I was so ticked. But, I stayed calm. I told him that I expected to hear right away as soon as he knows anything. I asked how long before the cabinets arrive. He says 5 weeks - that is minimum. At 5 weeks, we are about a week behind schedule. I told him to be sure to contact me if there are any further delays. He just says okay.

What the hell? I am paying good money to these people and I expect better service.

I will be sending a letter at the end of this process to the company detailing my issues.

3 Comments:

At 1:19 PM EDT, Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i hope your contractor doesn't penalise you for someone elses incompetence...

heres hoping they arrive super speedy...

*fingers crossed*

 
At 1:50 PM EDT, Blogger Corona Red said...

Magpie -
Thanks. So far so good.

 
At 2:59 PM EDT, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

GOD, I feel so bad for you. I'm having issues with just ordering a piece of furniture for my new apartment, it coming in pieces, no hardware attached.....backorders, nightmares....I can't imagine going through what you are going through. I'd have to commit myself.
xo
jw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home