Friday, June 02, 2006

Renovation Starting Soon!

As many of you know, I started this home renovation project awhile ago. I clipped photos from magazines, read books on renovation and looked and looked at items. But, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Here are my original plans - with the dream kitchen, dream porch and deck. The dashed line indicate where the old house wall was. The old kitchen is where the bathroom/pantry back of kitchen is. Really more of what I originally wanted. Note the built-in bookshelves around the window. I was very excited about it. I originally budgeted $40,000 for all of this.That was until my contractor said it would $92,000 plus cabinets to build it. So, I began to whittle it down. Here's what the outside would have looked like with that design. Of course, this would be more true with less mature trees and the other house attached on the left (my house is a duplex). As you can see it would have been great.

That was the plan, but after months of whittling it down, I sent this to my architect to get the final product. I also negotiated with the contract on details that you can't see below.

I will post the final construction plans if I can get them in the right format. But, this is close. The architect cost me about $2,000, but was well worth it. He really helped with the contractor and was able to provide them and I with what we needed.

I am now installing my own flooring. My sister and I are going to put in the bathroom -- they are just roughing in the room and the plumbing. I'm doing all the painting and am providing all the lighting fixtures, outlets, electrical switches, faucets, and other plumbing extras, like the disposal. The deck had to be shrunk due to county regulations anyway, so it worked out.

Two weeks ago, I met with my kitchen designer and my contractor. They are both great and I like working with them.

As of the kitchen guy, I finally picked my cabinets - Shiloh brand Oxford style in Ivory with Pewter glaze. Here is what they look like exactly. Counters will be Corian Maui. See below. I really love it. They are exactly what I envisioned. The price is about what I expected - under $15,000 including countertops. My appliances are white, but I think they will look good with the cabinets and countertop.




I have a tentative schedule from the contractors and think we've worked out most of the details. My contract should arrive this week. I have gotten it down to about $55,000. I have over $150,000 in home equity available to me, but I don't want to get into it all. The schedule will tentatively be:

Week 1 - 4 /5/6 Demolition -- I need to be out of the house during that time as they will be breaking through the wall. I have to get everything off the first floor, including packing up the kitchen.

Then - Inspection Close-in They will create a "room" that I can be in near the front door, with the fridge and microwave there. NOW I can move back in. So, I will be grilling out and nuking my food for the remaining 8 to 12 weeks.

During next 7 to 10 days- All Drywall will be hung

Next 2-4 days, I need to install the flooring.

During next week, cabinets need to be installed

Then, it's trim installed

Then, it's Paint -- I need to try to complete it in one weekend. My contractor recommended only doing the first coat and using flat paint to minimize scuffing.

Then Light Fixtures. I haven't decided what I am doing with that yet. I know I want recessed light and undermount cabinet lights in the kitchen.

Then Finish work -- 2 to 3 weeks of it.

Then appliances.

And then I should my house back.

If they start within the next two weeks, I am looking at a final date of October 2. I am excited, but a bit terrified at the mess and cost of it all. What if it looks bad? What if I put myself in debt and the market plummets? But, I am not happy with it now. And it's my place. So, we'll see.

4 Comments:

At 4:17 PM EDT, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

Oh my god...how amazing. Here I am feeling wonderful about just moving to a better apartment. You go girl!
xo
jw

 
At 8:08 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I'd be excited too. And all that moving and stuff...well, it's all be worth it in the end! :)

 
At 10:34 AM EDT, Blogger Corona Red said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:36 AM EDT, Blogger Corona Red said...

Thanks. I am really excited.

Corona

 

Post a Comment

<< Home