Monday, June 13, 2005

Flying -- The Ultimate High

Jay (my boyfriend) took me flying last weekend. He is a licensed pilot. He wanted to fly F16s for the military, but he's color-blind. (Let me tell you - I don't think he ever got over it.)

But, he loves to fly. This is one of the first times he's shared part of his world with me. So, that made it special within itself. He was so excited and really wanted me to enjoy it.

I helped with the pre-flight checklist and got myself settled. I was a bit nervous and made a joke about nothing better happen to him, because I had no idea what to do. So, of course, he explained to me what I would need to do if something did. This did not assail my fears.

The plane was a small Cessna 152. With two seats only, it's a bit of a tight squeeze. He put me in charge of the GPS monitor and writing stuff down. Once we got up in the air, it was breathtaking. To soar over the trees and the clouds, it was amazing to see the land below.

Unfortunately, due to the bizillion restrictions on airspace in the D.C. area, we couldn't fly over my house. I'm in the flight plan for DCA airport. Jay was also on the radio a lot as we switched from one tower to another and had to ask permission to enter different airspace. He told me how he misses the days it was easier to fly in this airspace.

He allowed me to pilot the plane for a few minutes. I found it quite challenging. Unlike a car, you don't have to worry about it going forward -- it will as long as the engines are running. But, you do have the additional problem of the altitude. I struggled with maintaining our heading while maintaining the altitude. And to tell you the truth, I found it a bit overwhelming. He asked if I wanted to learn to pilot and I was honest. Why should I learn when I have him to be my personal pilot? Plus, I didn't find it enjoyable enough to put that much time and effort into becoming a pilot.

I have to say I loved it. And I was so happy that he included me in something in his life. It was breathtaking views of Virginia, Maryland and the river in between. It was an awesome way to spend an afternoon.


________________________________________________________

On a side note, I did find out that his family doesn't know I exist. We've been dating almost 8 months and his parents and siblings don't know I exist. Strange, huh? I swear...he's an odd duck.

4 Comments:

At 7:57 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My ex-boyfriends mom had a little Cessna and she used to take us up all the time....I LOVED it!

I'd MUCH rather fly in a little plane like that than a commercial plane.

Glad you had a good time! :)

 
At 11:33 AM EDT, Blogger Tara said...

Sounds like a good time...one of these days I will actually step foot on a plane and experience flying :)

 
At 11:38 PM EDT, Blogger Jay said...

You're a brave girl for going up. Those little planes make me hella-nervous.

 
At 5:40 PM EDT, Blogger Leesa said...

I dated a guy for 2 years before he ever told his family about me. I never quite knew what to think of it. Friends of course had their negative opinions...I didn't have one either way. Of course we only lasted 3 years...so it doesn't matter now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home