Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Update and New Item Noted

Well, I'm off for a work trip until Friday. Hopefully, I will have time to devote to my blog (and reading everyone else's) when I return.

Gym - I did make it to the gym yesterday with my work friend. I did 9.18 miles on the stationary bike. Not too shabby. I am a bit stiff today, but a good stiff.

Something to Note

I'm reading the paper yesterday (www.washingtonpost.com) and they were talking about the influence of bloggers on mass media. They were specifically discussing the papers that the Downing Street Memo and how it wasn't until bloggers drew attention to that the media wrote about it.

So, I am going to devote at least one blog a month to a social issue. Shouldn't be hard to do. There is certainly enough going on in the world for me to comment about.


Today, the topic is Grover Norquist. He seems to be a nut-case himself. He apologized (in a manner of speaking) for calling Senators Snowe and Collins "the two girls from Maine," but he did it in an insulting manner. He thinks it is appropriate to call them this because "we were talking to a bunch of college kids." As if that is a good reason. As a former higher education professional, believe me we want the speakers to set a higher bar for the students. If two U.S. senators don't demand respect, then why don't the students call their female professors "girls"? It really was insulting.

However, what is almost worst is the constant barrage of insults that he hurled about Senator John McCain - the only Republican I would ever consider voting into national office. Grover (and all I have to say is look at that name) - anyway - he said McCain is a nut-case or a "gun-grabbing, tax-increasing Bolshevik." Now, McCain seems to be brushing him off, but this is a repeat of recent offenses by Republicans.

When a democrat compared Guantanamo Bay to the Nazis a few weeks ago, he was practically tar and feathered. He apologized on the congressional floor. However, this guy is being brought to task by anyone. So, do the Republicans feel like they don't owe apologies? Because they feel like they are winning?

Democracy is about exchanging ideas, not taking potshots at your opponent. When will the political leaders of this country figure out that the citizens want a country were free speech is respected and respectful? Disagreeing with someone else's ideas and challenging those ideas is a good thing, but disagreeing with who a person is really to denigrate humanity.

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM EDT, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ugh....I loathe politics...isn't it AWFUL that that is my bread and butter!!! How ironic! :)

Have a good time (despite it being for work)! You'll be missed!

 
At 2:43 PM EDT, Blogger Jennifer Wertkin said...

Hey there! I'm back on blogger. Can't wait to catch up on your life!
xo
jw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home