Thursday, June 16, 2005

Co-Worker Blues -- Can I smack her?

Okay, I just read about being careful about blogging about work and I'm going to do it anyway. I have a co-worker who is making me crazy. She's a few years older than me and tries to come across as a damn saint here at the office. She works overtime, but she doesn't need to be comped for it. Of course, she's available via telephone on her days off. While on vacation with her son, she will of course be stopping by the New York Office to check messages. And she's always checking her e-mail. Behind the boss' back, she talks about how she dislikes her, but then she is so sickingly nice to her that it seems obvious to me. She comes in early, so she's here at the same time or before the boss. But, when she leaves early, even when we are teaching class, nobody notices. So, she irritates me considerably.

First, we do the same job. So, when she is not here, I can handle whatever comes our way. If she was invaluable, I could see her needing to do some of these items. She is not my boss, just my team lead. She has no impact on my performance appraisal. Technically, I believe I am actually better at most parts of our job.

Secondly, they are getting ready to finally announce a full-time permanent position for our jobs. It will be a higher pay grade (government speak for promotion) and better salary. The boss sees my co-worker coming in early, willing to not take comp time, acting like she knows everything about our system, and that she constantly in touch. So, it looks like she would be better. She is definitely better at the politics of the department than I am. However, when people need help, they usually prefer to have me. Most staff seem to believe that I am better at helping them. I also consider myself a better teacher for our classes. I am much more thorough than she is and am able to reach many different kinds of students. She treats it like a presentation, instead of a training and there is a difference. She also has zero organizational or writing skills. She hates doing written product for anything. I do know if she applies for the position, they will hire her because of what they see.

Lastly, yesterday a friend I work with overhead my co-worker bad-mouthing me to the supervisor, saying I refuse to do this or that. I was pissed. I did not refuse outright. I said there was no reason to ever do it the way she wanted. I offered alternatives. She didn't express a problem with my alternative. I don't understand her issue. I never mention that I wait weeks to get feedback from her on written product or that I do all the written products for our area. I never mention when she leaves class earlier, although she is the first to complain when I can't get there earlier enough.

I just do not like working with her. Especially since I now know, she is trying to undermine me for this position. I just want to smack her.

3 Comments:

At 11:47 AM EDT, Blogger Tara said...

You know I could never understand what the big deal is about being on the internet at work. If it doesn't interfere with your job, what does it matter. Don't people realize if we didn't get on here and blog we really would smack our co-workers...I mean there has to be some happy medium.

 
At 11:47 AM EDT, Blogger Tara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:29 PM EDT, Blogger Leesa said...

Hmmm...I think I'd smack her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home