Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"Brokeback Mountain" - 4 Stars


Well, I finally got to see "Brokeback Mountain" on Saturday night. Two thumbs up! Wow - it was great love story.

First, Heath Ledger's performance is amazing. I've always liked him, but never thought of him as this great actor. Just a hot guy who was a decent actor. But, he is absolutely amazing in this movie. You just feel his anguish and the love he feels for Jake's character. He does an amazing job.

Second, Jake Gyllenhaal is great in the film. His character is a bit desperate - in some ways more than Heath's, even though it appears his life should be easier - more money, stable marriage.

And finally, it is beautifully shot. The mountains are breathtaking.

I was a bit disappointed in the sex scene that is often discussed in reviews of the movie. It's brief and a bit more stereotypical than I would care for, but it works for the film.

I highly recommend this movie. It made me laugh and it made me cry. Really it did.

4 Comments:

At 1:11 PM EST, Blogger Jay said...

So do you recommend that I take my mother in law to see it?

 
At 7:14 AM EST, Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Oh, I want to see that movie so bad! But I'll have to go alone...The PK said, under no circumstances WHATSOEVER, will he watch that movie!!!

Guys can be so anal sometimes (no pun intended!!!) ;)

 
At 10:53 AM EST, Blogger Ms Mac said...

I cannot wait to see it! Keep your fingers crossed for me that somewhere close will show it in English!

 
At 11:15 AM EST, Blogger Corona Red said...

Jay - If your mom is okay with gay men, she should like it. I only found the violent portions turned my stomach, but I've seen plenty of gay men kiss before. PQ- Hope you get to see it with someone. Ms Mac - Always. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home