Wednesday, February 01, 2006

State of the Union - Just My Quick Thoughts

Let me first admit that I didn't actually watch the State of the Union last night. I am not a big fan of the Dubya and don't listen to him speak any more than absolutely necessary. But, I did read about the speech this morning.

Here's some quick thoughts on items he mentioned:

Oil - We don't get much oil from the Middle East. But, we do use too much of it in this country. So, why did he not mention energy conservation, promotion of public transportation, and encouragement of the average American making changes to lessen their consumption? Why didn't he mention having each government agency evaluate their use of our national resources and find ways to conserve? It could be as simple as turning the lights off in every government building when noone is there. Yet, he proposed nothing that would require people or government to change for the overall betterment of society. I did actually think the research is great idea.

Foreign Policy - I can't believe he even mentioned Hamas in the address. And he then proceeded to tell them what to do. I don't think it's that simple and it is probably not why the Palestinians people elected them. I just found it to be a bizarre statement.

Pork Projects - Does he really think Congress is ever going to give him line-item veto power? God knows it will only be used as a political weapon. It really eliminates some checks and balances and this government isn't honest enough for that amount of power.

Competitiveness Initiative - Sounds good. What I found interesting is that he's suddenly promoting science, while in the past basically agreeing that Creationism/intelligent design should be taught in schools. It's not a science by any stretch of the imagination. He is really contradictory in this manner. I'm all for research - but you know this doesn't include any stem cell research or anything controversial. They don't trust women to make their decisions about their bodies and I don't see him promoting any science that allows women any choice.

And on a sad note, I saw Alito was confirmed into the Supreme Court. It really is the end of an era and I fear where we are heading in the next decade.

1 Comments:

At 2:51 PM EST, Blogger Tara said...

It definitely makes the future one on shaky ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home